Our Favorite Recipe (on Yummly): Cheddar Kale Skillet Cornbread
Where can you find easy and delicious recipes like this? Yummly!
Cheddar Kale Skillet Cornbread
by GREAT ISLAND
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup buttermilk (or almond milk, we make it vegan by using one cup of almond milk + 1 tsp coconut vinegar)
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups shredded kale leaves (pulsed it in a food processor)
- (We also add 1 cup of sweet corn kernels!)
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup oat flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp onion powder
- Set the oven to 400F
- Grease or oil a 10" cast iron skillet.
- In a large microwave safe mixing bowl, melt the butter. Then whisk in the buttermilk and eggs.
- Add the grated cheese and the kale and stir to blend.
- Sift the dry ingredients right into the bowl and mix well.
- Pour the mixture into the skillet and smooth it out.
- Bake for about 20-22 minutes, until it's just starting to turn golden around the edges, and a toothpick comes out without wet batter clinging to it. Don't over bake!
Original Post by The View from Great Island